Monday, September 28, 2009

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles


Nothing has been the same since Caleb Becker left a party drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit Maggie Armstrong. Even after months of painful physical therapy, Maggie walks with a limp. Her social life is nil and a scholarship to study abroad-her chance to escape everyone and their pitystares-has been canceled. After a year in juvenile jail, Caleb's free . . . if freedom means endless nagging from a transition coach and the prying eyes of the entire town. Coming home should feel good, but his family and ex-girlfriend seem like strangers.

Caleb and Maggie are outsiders, pigeon-holed as "criminal" and "freak." Then the truth emerges about what really happened the night of the accident and, once again, everything changes. It's a bleak and torjourney for Caleb and Maggie, yet they end up finding comfort and strength from a surprising source: each other.


Can I fangirl this book any more? I don't think I can. I read Leaving Paradise straight through and I couldn't stop reading it!!!

I had already been a big fan of Simone Elkeles, but this book just took it over the top. Caleb is an interesting character... he isn't exactly the "dream guy" but he he has a certain charm about him. He is a gutsy character which is a really cook trait to have.

Maggie is also an interesting character. She annoyed me a lot of the times, but other times I totally understood why she acted the way she did.

I recommend Leaving Paradise. It was an honest and intriguing book.

4 comments:

Holly said...

I really like the synopsis! On my list! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I totally agree. I love this book so much and Simone Elkeles who's totally underrated.

Eleni said...

Great review! I still prefer Perfect Chemistry over it though...I think their will be a sequel for Leaving Paradise if I'm not mistaken...

Debbie's World of Books said...

This sounds great! I read Perfect Chemistry from Simone and loved it. Will have to check this one out.