Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld

newugliescoversmall

Summary for the first book in the series, Uglies (summary taken from Goodreads)-

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

When I looked and saw that I had never reviewed any of the Uglies books by Scott Westerfeld, I was outraged. So I thought that writing a review of the whole series, just in time for the new paperbacks to be released- would work well. Before I start this review, I want to talk covers.

Covers-

The old "Uglies” book covers will always hold a special place in my heart because those covers are the ones I picked up 4 years ago when I stumbled in to my schools book faire. I like how the old books were mysterious and dark and just overall good covers. However, I also really like the new ones (pictures on the right). I think they capture the feel of the series well, while still looking really interesting and following some of the trends that are now common in YA book covers.

Characters-

The characters this series are so wonderfully conflicted-and I loved them all. I admit, every time I reread these book, half the time I have an overwhelming need to slap the characters. I loved how Tally was such a non-rebel in the beginning of the first book, but I liked how throughout the series she grew to be a well-rounded character. All of the other characters who show up in the series- Shay, Zane, Peris, David- are all written so wonderfully, I can’t give Scott Westerfeld enough praise.

Plot-

This was the first dystopian novel I ever read, and it’s probably still my favorite dystopian novel (The Hunger Games and Wither are both in a really close second). I like how Scott Westerfeld took a part of society that is relevant (plastic surgery) and puts it to a drastic extreme. These books talk about things that could potentially happen in the future. It isn’t too far off that you don’t believe it, but it’s distant enough that it becomes dystopian.

Overall-

I cannot even tell you how much I recommend these books. If you are reluctant to read or enjoy just good literature, I recommend them. These books are some of the first YA books that I read, and I liked them at a point in time where I didn’t really like to read. If you have read the Uglies books, I recommend you read Scott’s other books (Peeps, So Yesterday, The Last Days, Levithan (and the other books in the Leviathan series), and The Midnighters books. I promise that you won’t regret it. My copies of all the Uglies books are completely falling apart from me reading them so much, and I hope that you enjoy them as much as I did.

Edit- Someone just reminded me of this, but the slang in these books is also really awesome. It's a mix of Australian slang and slang that Scott Westerfeld made up. After you read these books, you will be using the slang for weeks afterward.

FTC- Bought.

Best Wishes,

Zoe-la

7 comments:

We Heart YA said...

Completely agree! To be honest, when I first read them, I wasn't sure how much I liked them or not. But after reading a lot more YA since then, I realize how stand-out they are among the rest. And you're right about Tally, her growth over the series was incredible!

(Lol, was it just me or did you talk in Uglies slang for like weeks afterwards?)

Zoe said...

The Uglies slang! Oh, I loved that so much *goes to add that to review*.
I completely talked like that afterward.

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

When I first saw those covers, I was like: WOAH. I also have a soft spot for the originals, which WERE the first dytopian novels I ever read, aka even before I knew they were dystopian. LOVED this series, and the slang! ;)

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

I love this review, it makes me feel terrible about not continuing after the first book, even though I really liked it! Aah, when I have time, I will definitely be trying to finish this series, it look really awesome :) I agree, I have a soft spot for the original ocvers, but I don't mind the newer ones either

Unknown said...

7.14llllllyuan"coach outlet"
"ferragamo shoes sale"
"swarovski crystal"
"ray-ban sunglasses"
"coach outlet online"
"nike free running"
"oakley sunglasses"
"nike roshe run shoes"
"true religion sale"
"longchamp outlet online"
"longchamp solde"
"michael kors uk outlet"
"lebron james shoes"
"michael kors outlet"
"versace sunglasses"
"coach outlet store"
"coach outlet"
"kobe bryant shoes"
"tiffany outlet"
"cheap nhl jerseys"
"true religion uk"
"ralph lauren uk"
"beats by dr dre"
"adidas wings shoes"
"lululemon outlet"
"mont blanc pens"
"mizuno shoes"
"abercrombie outlet"
"mulberry sale"
"calvin klein outlet"
"pandora jewelry"
"cheap michael kors handbags"
"michael kors handbags wholesale"
"ray ban sunglasses"
"mulberry handbags sale"
7.14

Unknown said...


تعد الاخلاص افضل شركة تنظيف ومكافحة حشرات بالطائف فهى تقدم افضل الخدمات وباقل الاسعار لانها تتميز بانها افضل :
شركة رش مبيدات بالطائف
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالطائف
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالطائف
شركة تنظيف بالطائف
شركة تسليك مجاري بالطائف
____________
شركة عزل اسطح بالطائف
شركة تنظيف منازل بالطائف
شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
شركة ترميم بالرياض
شركة دهانات بالطائف
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالطائف
_______
افضل شركة تنظيف خزانات بالطائف
افضل شركة رش مبيدات بالطائف
افضل شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
شركة تنظيف منازل بالخرج
افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالخرج
افضل شركة ترميم بالرياض
افضل شركة دهانات بالطائف
افضل شركة تنظيف بالخرج

Unknown said...

michael kors outlet
replica watches
michael kors outlet
ray ban sunglasses
longchamp outlet
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton
oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses sale
polo ralph lauren
20170210lck