Sunday, May 15, 2011

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

36When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

I just read this series and I’m really mad at myself that I didn’t read it sooner. I had heard so many people rave about the Mortal Instruments books that I was really wary to start them. But let me tell you, once I started reading this series I couldn’t stop. Clary is so… real, despite not being like anybody I know.

I loved the whole storyline of City of Bones. The Shadowhunters and the mundanes and all of the other character-types in the story were so interesting and I loved reading about them. My only real complaint about this book isn’t really a complaint at all. I didn’t like how much sleep I lost while staying up reading the books in the series. I read City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, and City of Fallen Angels in four days- so a book a day.

Needless to say, I completely recommend this series to everyone- though only to mature readers. Cassandra Clare has quickly climbed up to being one of my favorite authors!

FTC- Bought.