Monday, May 2, 2011

OyMG by Amy Fellner Dominy

38Jewish girl. Christian camp. Holy moly.
Ellie Taylor loves nothing better than a good argument. So when she gets accepted to the Christian Society Speech and Performing Arts summer camp, she's sure that if she wins the final tournament, it'll be her ticket to a scholarship to the best speech school in the country. Unfortunately, the competition at CSSPA is hot-literally. His name is Devon and, whether she likes it or not, being near him makes her sizzle. Luckily she's confident enough to take on the challenge-until she begins to suspect that the private scholarship's benefactor has negative feelings toward Jews. Will hiding her true identity and heritage be worth a shot at her dream?

I knew this book would interest me as soon as I read the description. Right as I dove into OyMG, I loved it. Amy Fellner Dominy got the whole nature of speech between Ellie and her grandfather Zeydeh was spot on and amazing, I felt like I was hanging out with my own family*. OyMG was both funny and smart while still remaining a good balance between the two. Ellie was an awesome main character who I really loved reading about. Her experiences and the decisions that she makes made the story even more amazing than I thought it was to begin with.

Amy Fellner Dominy did an amazing job writing a debut novel that will crush stereotypes with it’s great display of an involved family and a girl outside of her element. I completely recommend OyMG!

FTC- Publisher

 

*One side of my family is Jewish.

No comments: