Thursday, February 11, 2010

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers


Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first. Tensions grow and the abuse worsens as the final days of senior year march toward an explosive conclusion in this dark new tale from the author of Cracked Up To Be.





Some Girls Are was magnificent. It was so good! The “clique‘s” resembled those from Mean Girls, which I LOVED. This is the first book I have read by Courtney Summers, and it surely won’t be the last. Courtney did an amazing job writing this. All the emotions seemed like they were real, I loved it.
Regina was, undoubtedly a really really mean person*. Yet, I felt sorry for her. Good writing can make you do some things like that; feel sorry for a bitchy character. This just proves that Courtney Summers is a wonderful writer.
Throughout most of the book, I was waiting for Regina and Michael to finally kiss. I think a lot of people felt this way. My thought process was mainly like “yay yay yay yay. Now… ummm, y’all need to kiss already” Michael hated her so much, but… you could just feel the connection.
This was another one of those books where I went into it only meaning to read the first few pages, but by the time I was done reading, I had finished the book. Courtney Summers is such an amazing writer. You MUST pick up this book.



*aka… a bitch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great review! I really need to start reading her books :)

Daisy Whitney said...

I couldn't agree more. I adore Courtney and her first book is the one that inspired me to write YA in the first place! You must pick up Cracked up to Be!