Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Clean by Amy Reed

imageOlivia, Kelly, Christopher, Jason, and Eva have one thing in common: They’re addicts. Addicts who have hit rock bottom and been stuck together in rehab to face their problems, face sobriety, and face themselves. None of them wants to be there. None of them wants to confront the truths about their pasts. But they’ll all have to deal with themselves and one another if they want to learn how to live. Because when you get that high, there’s nowhere to go but down, down, down.

Clean left me breathless. Reed’s first novel Beautiful was magnificent and I didn’t think she would possibly be able to top it. I was so wrong. Clean captured me from the very beginning. All five of the main characters were amazing. They each had their own personalities and problems. I really liked how Amy Reed altered points-of-view between these characters. It wasn’t done in the usual way- only giving each character their own chapters. I love how… different the novel was. It wasn’t just a book about addicts. It was so much more than that.

Ironically, my only problem with Clean was the chapters. Yes, I am a huge fan of how the novel was delegated between the characters. Yes, I admire Amy Reed for having it that way. But having five different narrators was confusing. I was able to follow the various plots, but it was difficult.

Amy Reed has an incredibly strong writing style that, mixed with a topic as serious as addiction, really made Clean stand out from other books I’ve read this year. I think that people really should read this book. It is beautifully written and incredibly engaging. Amy Reed is a fantastic writer and I look forward to reading her future novels.

FTC- Simon and Schuster Galley Grab.