Monday, January 3, 2011

Invisible Things by Jenny Davidson


Sixteen-year-old Sophie knows there is more to the story of her parents' death. And she's on a mission to find the truth. To aid her in solving the decades-old mystery, Sophie has enlisted her best friend, Mikael, whose friendship has turned into something more. It's soon clear that Sophie's future is very much wrapped up in the details of her family's past, and the key lies with information only one man can provide: her parents' former employer, the elusive billionaire Alfred Nobel.

As the threat of war looms in Europe, dangers to Sophie and her loved ones grow. While her determination to solve the mystery doesn't waver, forces beyond her control conspire to keep her from her purpose. Then, news of her great-aunt Tabitha's death sets off a chain of events that leaves Sophie questioning everything.

The more Sophie learns, the more she realizes that nothing—and no one—in her life is what it seems. And coming to terms with the dark secrets she uncovers means imagining a truth that she never dreamed possible. Full of gorgeous settings, thrilling adventure, and romance, invisible things is a novel that dares to ask, what if?


Invisible Things is the sequel to The Explosionist. I haven’t read The Explosionist so I don’t know how Invisible Things works as the sequel. When Invisible Things starts off, it’s a little confusing. However, after awhile it starts getting less confusing and develops into a really good read. I like to think that I’m good at understanding science so Sophie at the Theoretical Physics Institute interested me a lot. Jenny Davidson wrote a lovely historical book that will be loved by many people.
I wasn’t blown away with this book, my opinion about it is neutral. I liked it, which says something since I’m not a big historical fan. But it just felt like parts were missing.

FTC- Publisher.

3 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I love the sound of this one, but I haven't read the first book either. Perhaps I should do so first. Great honest take on it :)

Zoe said...

Good to know. I don't usually go for historical fiction really either.
Great review :)

Anonymous said...

This book is based on a concept very interesting literary - alternative history. The historical event of the defeat of Napoleon, Wellington at the battle of Waterloo did not happen in our world.
clear wireless