Tuesday, January 4, 2011

All You Get Is Me by Yvonne Prinz


A summer of love, loss, and justice.

Things were complicated enough for Roar, even before her father decided to yank her out of the city and go organic. Suddenly, she’s a farm girl, albeit a reluctant one, selling figs at the farmers’ market and developing her photographs in a ramshackle shed. Caught between a troublemaking sidekick named Storm, a brooding, easy-on-the-eyes L.A. boy, and a father on a human rights crusade that challenges the fabric of the farm community, Roar is going to have to tackle it all—even with dirt under her fingernails and her hair pulled back with a rubber band meant for asparagus.

I haven’t really explained how my review process works, but I have a list of all the books I’ve read that still need to be reviewed, and I slowly write the reviews. I rarely read books that I review immediately, but sometimes I read that one really good book that I need to tell the world about. Well, lovely blog readers- today I have read that book.
I read Yvonne’s other book The Vinyl Princess last year and I loved it a lot, so I’ve been anticipating the release of All You Get Is Me for awhile now. I got this book today (or yesterday because I’m writing this review at midnight) and dove into it as soon as I could, and I couldn’t stop reading. Yvonne Prinz writes everything so beautifully. I loved how All You Get Is Me was really serious, but still funny. There were a few cracks about Jewish people and Chinese food*. The characters were perfectly balanced between serious, funny, and playful. Their emotions were real and I wanted to dive in a start talking to them.
Both All You Get Is Me and The Vinyl Princess have really quirky main characters. Roar in All You Get Is Me loved photography and Allie from The Vinyl Princess loves music and records. I’ll let you all in on a little secret- I LOVE quirky artistic/creative characters. They are always so fun to read about!
The only complaint I have about this book is that I want it to be longer so I can spend more time with the characters, especially Forest (a lovely lovely boy). All You Get Is Me is gorgeously lyrical and a must read for Young Adult readers everywhere! Yvonne Prinz is an incredibly talented author and I can’t wait for her next book.


*A lot of people won’t find this funny, but I do since I’m from a Jewish family that likes Chinese food and I know that it’s a stereotype.

FTC- Publisher.


1 comment:

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

I haven't read any of her books, but I definitely want to check them out!