Friday, January 7, 2011

The Deathday Letter by Shaun David Hutchinson


The clock is ticking?

Ollie can't be bothered to care about anything but girls until he gets his Deathday Letter and learns he's going to die in twenty-four hours. Bummer.

Ollie does what he does best: nothing. Then his best friend convinces him to live a little, and go after Ronnie, the girl who recently trampled his about-to-expire heart. Ollie turns to carloads of pudding and over-the-top declarations, but even playing the death card doesn't work. All he wants is to set things right with the girl of his dreams. It's now or never?.


Can we discuss how much I loved this book? It was so terrifically amazing. I read it straight through, which I think everybody should do when reading this. Shaun David Hutchinson has pushed his way on to my favorite authors list, with this book. The Deathday Letter was so unusual and real. It’s from a boys point of view (I love books with male points of view). The main character, Ollie is so realistic!
The first thing that drew me to this book was the summary. I mean… this kid finds out that he’s going to die soon and his response is “bummer”.
Shaun David Hutchinson brought something to the YA world that not many authors can- humor involving a dark story. There were times when I was literally laughing out loud while reading this book. Don’t get me wrong- death is not a funny thing, but you can’t help but laugh when reading The Deathday Letter.
Shaun David Hutchinson made a serious topic unbearably hilarious. I loved this book and I hope you read it, so you can love it too.

FTC- Library.

1 comment:

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

I adore this book as well! Great review!