Thursday, April 28, 2011

Back When You Were Easier to Love by Emily Wing Smith


What's worse than getting dumped? Not even knowing if you've been dumped. Joy got no goodbye, and certainly no explanation when Zan—the love of her life and the only good thing about stifling, backward Haven, Utah—unceremoniously and unexpectedly left for college a year early. Joy needs closure almost as much as she needs Zan, so she heads for California, and Zan, riding shotgun beside Zan's former-best-friend Noah.

I have to be honest, I first wanted to read this book because of the cover. I mean, look at it! It looks so adorable and bookish, how could I not want to read it?

This story is sweet, addicting, and absolutely heartbreaking. In some ways, I wanted to totally jump into the story to give Joy a wake up call. Reading parts of this story broke my heart because I just felt so bad for Joy when it came to how blind she was toward Zan. This story has layers. It has the outside layer, which the summary tells us about- Joy is upset because Zan, the love of her life, left without saying goodbye. Then we have the second layer- the various friendships involved in the “friendship-circle”. The third layer- which I’m not going to reveal to you because it would contain spoilers. And last, the fourth layer- this is the deepest layer and I think it comes down to the various ways we perceive people. I can completely understand why Joy would think that Zan loves her because frankly, that is what a lot of teen girls do. But as the reader, we can see that Joy is obviously lying to herself about how Zan is. She looks at him like he is the perfect guy, which he isn’t.

I loved how much each character changes throughout the course of Back When You Were Easier to Love. They all make an amazing transformation and I loved being able to watch that happen. Though the main character was kind of whiny, I overall really liked this book.

It conveys a special message and it was a really really fun story to read. I recommend it to people who want a fast, sweet novel that is more than meets the eye.

FTC- Publisher.

No comments: