Monday, January 21, 2013

Shadowlands by Kate Brian

Shadowlands (Shadowlands, #1)Rory Miller had one chance to fight back and she took it. Rory survived… and the serial killer who attacked her escaped. Now that the infamous Steven Nell is on the loose, Rory must enter the witness protection with her father and sister, Darcy, leaving their friends and family without so much as a goodbye.
Starting over in a new town with only each other is unimaginable for Rory and Darcy. They were inseparable as children, but now they can barely stand each other. As the sisters settle in to Juniper Landing, a picturesque vacation island, it seems like their new home may be just the fresh start they need. They fall in with a group of beautiful, carefree teens and spend their days surfing, partying on the beach, and hiking into endless sunsets. But just as they’re starting to feel safe again, one of their new friends goes missing. Is it a coincidence? Or is the nightmare beginning all over again?

I hadn’t heard anything about Shadowlands before it arrived on my doorstep. And even then, I was weary about reading it- the cover kind of makes it look dystopian and the summary didn’t really strike my fancy. But once I started reading it, there was no looking back. This is the first book I've read my Kate Brian and it certainly won’t be the last.

Shadowlands was crazy addicting. It kept me on the edge of my seat, wanting to know what’s going to happen next. The pacing in it was wonderful. From the very first page, there wasn’t a dull moment. Rory was a nice main character- she was likeable and it was easy to be sympathetic towards her situation. I felt so bad for all she had to go through, and I like how believable she was written.

It’s difficult for me to write this review without giving anything away. Kate Brian is the master of plot twists, and I can’t wait to see where Shadowlands goes in the sequel. She has me waiting on the edge of my seat to read the second book.

FTC- Received from publisher.

2 comments:

We Heart YA said...

Good to know! The cover makes us a bit wary too, but we've read from another review that it isn't what you think and makes more sense once you've read the story...?

Julia @ That Hapa Chick said...

I actually really like the cover of this book! I think it both looks and sounds amazing. YAY FOR AWESOME PLOT TWISTS! :D