Thursday, January 31, 2013

Hooked by Liz Fichera

Hooked (Hooked, #1)When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.
But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.
But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...
GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.

Hooked was lovely. I was expecting it to be cheesy- and judging by the cover, similar to books by Simone Elkeles. I was right about one thing- readers of Simone Elkeles will love Hooked. It wasn’t at all cheesy. Hooked was deep and cute- but covered some serious issues such as alcoholism and how it can affect those around you. Liz Fichera wrote a fantastic novel.

I loved Fred. Despite having family troubles and a hard time at school, she was able to keep her head up. I really liked that she remained true to herself and her passion for golf. Fred kicked butt! The little bit of romance in this was just adorable and served as the icing on the cake. Ryan was a fantastic character, and I liked how genuine he was. Seth however, was horrible- but that’s okay, because he’s supposed to be. I absolutely adored Fred’s dad- he was adorable, and one of my favorite parts of Hooked.

Hooked had fantastic pacing. One thing after another, what happened in the story was interesting and addicting. I couldn’t put Hooked down. Fichera is an awesome writer. I can’t wait to read her next book, which will be a companion to Hooked.

FTC- Received for review.