Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Time-Traveling Fashionista by Bianca Turetsky

 

23When Louise Lambert receives a mysterious invitation to a traveling vintage fashion sale in the mail, her normal life in suburban Connecticut is magically transformed into a time traveling adventure.

After a brief encounter with two witchy salesladies and donning an evening gown that once belonged to a beautiful silent film star, Louise suddenly finds herself onboard a luxurious cruise ship in 1912. As Alice Baxter, the silent film star, Louise enjoys her access to an extensive closet of gorgeous vintage gowns and begins to get a feel for the challenges and the glamour of life during this decadent era. Until she realizes that she's not just on any ship-- she's on the Titanic!

Will Louise be able to save herself and change the course of history, or are she and her film star alter ego, destined to go down with a sinking ship in the most infamous sea disaster of the 20th century?

I wasn’t expecting to like The Time-Traveling Fashionista as much as I ended up liking it. It was written differently than most book I’m used to read. It had pictures, color, but was still mature enough that it made me feel like I was reading an upper middle grade or young adult book.

Towards the middle the plot seemed to slow down, which made it harder to get through at times. I also kept mixing up the main characters age. Louise is twelve (She may be eleven? I forget.) but when I was reading, I felt like she was older than that- possibly in her mid-teens. This could be because I’m used to reading characters that age, but she did seem to be quite mature for being twelve.

Other than that, I really enjoyed reading The Time-Traveling Fashionista. Bianca Turetsky wrote a sweet, addicting, and original novel that girls everywhere should read!

 

FTC- Publisher.

1 comment:

Absconditas said...

I've been hearing whisperings about this one around the book community, and at first I think it was a junior high sort of book, which it probably is, but it still looks like a fun, cute read anyways.

I might actually have to pick this one up. Great review!

Meghann D.
http://absconditas.com/