Thursday, February 17, 2011

Radiance by Alyson Noel


Riley has crossed the bridge into the afterlife—a place called Here, where time is always Now. She has picked up life where she left off when she was alive, living with her parents and dog in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. When she’s summoned before The Council, she learns that the afterlife isn’t just an eternity of leisure. She’s been assigned a job, Soul Catcher, and a teacher, Bodhi, a possibly cute, seemingly nerdy boy who’s definitely hiding something. They return to earth together for Riley’s first assignment, a Radiant Boy who’s been haunting a castle in England for centuries. Many Soul Catchers have tried to get him to cross the bridge and failed. But all of that was before he met Riley . . .

Sadly, this book didn’t meet my expectations. Don’t get me wrong, I loved it- like I love all of Alyson Noel’s books. Radiance took me forever to read. It took me a few tries to finally get done reading it, so it is safe to say that Radiance is a pretty slow read for such a small book.
That being said, Noel continues to thrill me with her lyrical and enchanting writing. I loved being able to dive deeper into Riley’s life (since we’re so familiar with her sisters life). Riley was a quick, witty, snappy character that I loved. I found her dialogue amusing and hilarious. She is currently competing with her sister for being my favorite.
I think this book nailed it’s target age range. It is one of the few middle grade books that I have enjoyed. I think kids will like it because of how light it is. Radiance has a fierce main character, an adorable dog, and a very cute-nerdy boy- that is an amazing group of things that makes Radiance a staple in every young girl’s reading list.

FTC- Bought.

No comments: