Thursday, February 3, 2011

Close to Famous by Joan Bauer


Foster McFee dreams of having her own cooking show like her idol, celebrity chef Sonny Kroll. Macon Dillard's goal is to be a documentary filmmaker. Foster's mother Rayka longs to be a headliner instead of a back-up singer. And Miss Charleena plans a triumphant return to Hollywood. Everyone has a dream, but nobody is even close to famous in the little town of Culpepper. Until some unexpected events shake the town and its inhabitants and put their big ambitions to the test.

Close to Famous was a quick, light-hearted book that readers are sure to enjoy. I’ve never read anything else by Elizabeth Bauer, but after reading Close to Famous I really want to. Bauer wrote these characters perfectly. Despite this novel being noticeably short, it was timed really well. Also, this novel is about making cupcakes… which makes it amazing- point blank.
I liked Closed to Famous because of how original it was. You don’t see many books in the Young Adult literature world about a dyslexic girl who loved baking but can’t read directions. Overall, I think that Elizabeth Bauer knows how to write in a way that will captivate readers with her sugar-sweet novel.

FTC- Publisher.

2 comments:

Zoe said...

Hehe :) I like books about making cupcakes too! Lol.

Great review.

Mandy said...

Ah! This sounds like a cute read. Also, the cupcakes on it look so yummy!

I haven't heard of this book yet, but I'll be adding it to my to-read list for sure. :)

Great review, as always!