Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Devouring by Simon Holt

Such a freaking awesome book.

When dark creeps in and eats the light,

Bury yours fears on Sorry Night.

For in the winter’s blackest hours,

Comes the feasting of the Vours.

No one will see it, the life they stole,

Your body’s here but not your soul…”


15-year-old Reggie doesn’t know who penned the mysterious journal about the Vours, wicked creatures that inhabit children’s bodies on Sorry Night, the darkness of the winter solstice. Once inside a human, the Vour assumes the victim’s personality, banishing their soul to a dark netherworld called a fearscape. Frightening, but thought to be only the musings of an anonymous lunatic... until a midnight game awakens an ancient evil.

After playing with the journal’s incantations on Sorry Night, Reggie and her best friend Aaron discover the story of the Vours is all too real. When a demonic force consumes Reggie’s little brother, Henry, she must race to save him. Slowly, she uncovers the truth: Vours have existed since the dawn of mankind, feeding on humanity’s fright. Reggie acquires the ability to enter victims’ fearscapes, psychic prisons sculpted from pure terror. Once inside, she must empower victims to conquer their fear and destroy the Vours that have enslaved them.

Together with a small band of believers, Reggie wages war against an enemy she cannot touch or reason with, creatures powerful enough to enslave human bodies and steal souls without detection. The Vours gorge themselves on human fear—feeding their guile, their cruelty, and their power. A cataclysm called “The Devouring “ approaches, and only Reggie Halloway can stop it.



Oh my gosh. This book got me out of my reading rut. It was amazing. I don't really go for books like these often, because I get freaked out really easily. This book scared the crap out of me. But, I loved it. Simon Holt did a wonderful job writing. I wanted to keep reading because it was so good. But, at the same time, I wanted to stop reading because it was creepy, but good. Instead of putting it down, I continued reading, and I wasn't disappointed at all.

Everyone should read this book. It was really amazing. I loved it.

1 comment:

Lilixtreme said...

Definitely convincing, putting it on my Wishlist...