Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King


Wow...

In the late seventeenth century, famed teenage pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with the dust of one hundred dogs, dooming her to one hundred lives as a dog before returning to a human body-with her memories intact. Now she's a contemporary American teenager and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica.



I really don't know what to think of this book. I have never read or seen anything like it. I'm not normally into this kind of book, but this was really interesting. I mean, though there is a lot of books in the Young Adult world, you don't come across a pirate one a lot. Some things I didn't like about this novel was that it changed from Emer's past life and her teenage life. I found that confusing. If I were to choose which point of view the book should have been written in, I would choose the present-day teenager (with hints of her past lives). However, I liked how this book was different. Unlike a lot of books, this one didn't have the same plot as other books. Yes, it had teen angst and stuff in it, but isn't that one of the things that make's most Young Adult books interesting, and able to go into the Young Adult category? I think A.S. King did a wonderful job writing this book!

No comments: