Monday, April 8, 2013

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

This Is What Happy Looks LikeIf fate sent you an email, would you answer?
When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.
Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

I love Jennifer E. Smith’s writing, so I was super excited to read This is What Happy Looks Like. I loved Smith’s previous novel, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. This is What Happy Looks Like did not disappoint. Jennifer E. Smith wrote a cute novel about the internet and how people across the country can connect through it.

The beginning of the novel confused me a bit, but once I caught on to what I was reading, I fell completely in love with the story. Ellie and Graham’s emails back and forth to each other were adorable. While I was reading them, it felt like I was looking in on a relationship about to form. Their conversations were so honest, I loved them. Ellie was really cool and an overall awesome character. She acted reasonably to most of the situations that she was put in, and I feel like her character was true and honest. Graham was adorable. He wasn’t arrogant or fake, which I appreciated. It was interesting watching their relationship unfold. All of the twists and turns and hardships were really moving.

Jennifer E. Smith is a fantastic writer. She is able to convey relationships beautifully, while still making her novels about things other than romance. I can’t wait to see what she has coming out next, because I’m pretty certain it will be amazing.

FTC- Netgalley.

No comments: