Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hysteria by Megan Miranda

Hysteria Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her . . . or anything about her past.But the feeling follows her, as do her secrets. Then, one of her new classmates turns up dead. As suspicion falls on Mallory, she must find a way to remember the details of both deadly nights so she can prove her innocence-to herself and others.

This book is crazy, but it is also awesome. I loved Megan Miranda’s debut novel, Fracture, so naturally I was excited to read Hysteria. It’s difficult for me to articulate my feelings about Hysteria. I liked it a lot, however, for a great deal of the book I was confused. However, like I already mentioned, I did end up liking it a lot. One of my favorite things about Hysteria was how it’s set up. Readers figure out things as Mallory is figuring them out. Not only does it add to the mystery of the story, but it also adds a whole new depth.

I felt so sad for Mallory. She didn’t know what to believe and her life was crazy. Her paranoia translates perfectly through the story. When Mallory was freaking out and paranoid, it made me a little paranoid. Though like everyone, Mallory had her flaws, she did still end up being an awesome character. Reid was fantastic. He was adorable and hunk-tastic (yes, I did just use that word). Every scene that he was in made me even more engrossed in what I was reading.

Though I wouldn’t call this one of my favorite books, I still enjoyed Hysteria a lot. Megan Miranda is a talented writer who’s able to seamlessly bring you into the world that she’s created. Hysteria was enthralling, and I couldn’t put it down.

FTC- Received via Netgalley

No comments: