Friday, April 26, 2013

An Interview with Kristin Halbrook

I recently had the opportunity to interview Kristin Halbrook, author of the awesome book Nobody But Us. Without further to do, here is the interview-

Nobody But UsFirst of all, a huge thank you to Zoe for featuring me with these great questions!

1. Nobody But Us is told from a dual perspective. Which perspective was the most difficult to write?

I loved writing the dual perspective for this book and trying to make Will and Zoe have distinct voices. It's always amazing to hear from readers who thought I did a good job with that. :)

As for the tougher voice, it's hard to say. Zoe's rhythm is more natural to me, but I had to be careful to match her book smarts and more poetic speech patterns with her real-world naivete. Will's voice, on the other hand, was one that I had to revise sevearl times to get right: the patterns, language, conflict were all challenges. I would probably say his was tougher to write, for me. 

2. In the novel, Will and Zoe go on a road trip. Have you ever been on a road trip? If so, what's your favorite road trip memory?

I have been on road trips all over the western U.S. and Canada. Taking Highway 101 down the Oregon and California coasts is a classic--so beautiful! But I also loved the roadtrip I took to Yellowstone in Wyoming. Driving through the forests of Idaho was lovely, and I really loved Yellowstone Park. An underrated wonder of the world, I think!

3. This book made me cry like a small child. Was it emotional for you while writing it?

Aw, thank you. I think! :)

I had lots of emotional moments writing this book. Sometimes, it was difficult to wrangle certain scenes out of me, even though I knew they had to happen. Even now, when I hear certain songs--Family of the Year's "Hero" or Bruce Springsteen's "American Skin (41 Shots)" I get choked up. I think a big reason for that is because even though this is a fictional story about two specific teens, the themes and the way they feel--desperate, alone, good-intentioned in an unkind system--are ways many people feel.

4. Can you tell us anything about your next book(s)?

I will hopefully soon have a lot more to say about my next books, but for now I can say that I have several projects in development, from my next YA contemporaries featuring promises, broken hearts and overseas settings, to something rather darker, with a gothic feel. Hopefully, I will have lots of contemporaries to put on the shelves--I love writing about realistic teens.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the questions you came up with! I always froze on stuff to come up with when I was able to interview authors! I definitely have this book on my TBR pile!