Monday, November 7, 2011

Every You, Every Me by David Levithan

imageIn this high school-set psychological tale, a tormented teen named Evan starts to discover a series of unnerving photographs—some of which feature him. Someone is stalking him . . . messing with him . . . threatening him. Worse, ever since his best friend Ariel has been gone, he's been unable to sleep, spending night after night torturing himself for his role in her absence. And as crazy as it sounds, Evan's starting to believe it's Ariel that's behind all of this, punishing him. But the more Evan starts to unravel the mystery, the more his paranoia and insomnia amplify, and the more he starts to unravel himself.

I love how every book that David Levithan publishes is so original. I imagine that his mind is like a mecca for amazing ideas. It is probably known by most of you that I am a huge David Levithan fan. That being said, I honestly really liked Every You, Every Me. It’s not every day that a book like this is published- one that has pictures, as well as a thrilling story.

Evan is a wild character, and not in the crazy-does-stupid-things way. He’s realistic in a brutally honest way. It was refreshing. I read Every You, Every Me in a few hours. It was creepy, well written, and inventive. I wish it would have been written a little smoother, but in a way, I think having it be kind of choppy is good. It isn’t a fluffy, everything-is-alright type of book. And, I think we need books that don’t sugar coat things.

I view reading Every You, Every Me as an experience. You read this fantastic story, and you have the pictures to go along with it. David Levithan’s writing is amazing, but I have to give props to the photographer, Jonathan Farmer. I’m not familiar with Jonathan Farmer’s work, but after seeing the pictures presented in this novel, I want to be. The pictures are dark, mysterious, and completely alluring. Without them, there would simply be no novel.

Every You, Every Me is a fantastic novel that will leave you wanting more. Evan is an interesting main character that you won’t forget! The pictures presented in this piece of literature are as breathtaking as the writing. I can’t recommend Every You, Every Me enough.

FTC- Bought.

 

*Also, the title of this book is taken from an amazing Placebo song. You should listen to it.

No comments: