Wednesday, June 22, 2011

An Interview with Tara Kelly

imageTara Kelly is the author of Harmonic Feedback and the upcoming novel Amplified.

1. What was the hardest part of writing Harmonic Feedback and your upcoming novel Amplified?

Drea's POV in Harmonic Feedback  was tough for me just because she's almost my opposite in some ways. I'm all melody and emotion, while she's very literal and logical. It was definitely a learning experience trying to understand what it must be like to see the world from such a naive, yet extremely honest point of view. 

Amplified just didn't know what kind of book it wanted to be. It was originally a paranormal with ghosts! But I found I loved the band subplot a lot more than the ghost story. I think turning it into a band story was the best decision I could've made. 


2. What is the biggest influence that music has had on your life?

Music inspires me to write. It inspires me to dance. To be more patient in traffic. To dream big. To keep going. Really, music inspires me to live and live well.


3. What is the one thing you want readers to get out of reading your novels?

You know, I don't really set out to 'send a message' through my books--or I don't usually have a specific message I'm trying to send. However, I do love to write about characters who feel imagelike 'outsiders'. I guess I want readers to feel like they're not alone, and I want them to feel inspired to pursue their dreams and passions.


4. Who are your top 5 favorite bands/singers?

It depends on the day, honestly. Right now? Catherine Wheel, Skinny Puppy, Iris, Bat for Lashes, and The Cure (in no particular order)


5. Is there anything you would like to add?

Thank you so much for interviewing me and for giving Harmonic Feedback such an awesome review!

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Great interview! I need to get my hands on this book...

Erica said...

Ah, fabulous interview! I absolutely love love loved Harmonic Feedback, I can't wait for Amplified. I haven't heard of any of the bands Tara mentioned (well except The Cure), I think I need to check them all out