Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher


Welcome to a future where water is more precious than gold or oil-and worth killing for

Vera and her brother, Will, live in the shadow of the Great Panic, in a country that has collapsed from environmental catastrophe. Water is hoarded by governments, rivers are dammed, and clouds are sucked from the sky. But then Vera befriends Kai, who seems to have limitless access to fresh water. When Kai suddenly disappears, Vera and Will set off on a dangerous journey in search of him-pursued by pirates, a paramilitary group, and greedy corporations. Timely and eerily familiar, acclaimed author Cameron Stracher makes a stunning YA debut that's impossible to forget.


Many people are comparing The Water Wars to The Hunger Games, I really don’t think that they should be compared. Cameron Stracher takes a completely different path when writing this dystopian than Suzanne Collins took when writing The Hunger Games.
The Water Wars was slightly disappointing because I had such high expectations for it. It wasn’t the best book I’ve read, but it is still worth reading. My main problem with this book was that I didn’t feel a strong connection with the characters. I loved reading about them, I just didn’t really bond with them. Besides that, I think that The Water Wars is a perfectly decent novel. It leaves you really thinking about the world and just how valuable the little things we have are.
I like that Stracher took something that we don’t usually think about a lot, like water- and flipped it to make readers aware of just how valuable this natural resource is to us.
The Water Wars isn’t the best book every, but it definitely makes you think. Cameron Stracher wrote a thrilling novel that shows us what could happen if an important resource becomes scarce.


FTC- Publisher.

3 comments:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

Glad I didn't hear about the Hunger Games comparison before or I would have been even more disappointed. Like you said, I just couldn't connect with the characters and that tends to mean that I don't like the book.

Katie said...

This one is sitting on my TBR pile, unfortunately, pretty far down. But I still want to read it! I love a good dystopian :)

Mandy said...

I'm sorry you couldn't connect with the characters. :(

I've been curious about this book. Been debating on and off of whether to read it or not.

I kind of want to at least try it, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the review!