Friday, August 13, 2010

The Lack of Musicals in Young Adult Books

I am a big musical theater person. To this date, I’ve only actually bin in one play (Snow White in 4th grade, I played the dwarf Doc.) and it didn’t have singing, but let’s face it, I didn’t want to make the audience suffer.
I love watching Musicals though. And singing along (very badly, might I add).
So one day when I was listening to one of my musical soundtracks*, I thought to myself …
“Zoe, what happened to musicals in Young Adult books?”
Which got me thinking.
What HAS happened to musicals in YA books?

The only musical YA books I’ve read are-

Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Castration Celebration

Even though both are amazing books, I think we need more musicals in YA!
Sure, there are books that have characters that enjoy playing guitar or are music fanatics, but none of them SING.

I would love to sit down and read a Young Adult book and suddenly the main character breaks into song while on the computer (or something of that nature).

If any of you know of any other YA Musical books, leave them in the comments!

Xo,
Zoe

*The soundtrack could have been either Wicked, Rent, Spring Awakening, or American Idiot. Possibly Glee.

7 comments:

Devyn said...

Try Dramarama! I really enjoyed that book. :)

xx
db

Ty said...

Hey Zoe,

I've never told anybody this, but my wildest dream as an author is to have a novel I've written converted to a musical. I have no musical talent myself, but I love musical theater!

Ty

Alex (Tales of a Teenage Book Lover) said...

The DRAMA! series is being re-printed in december. It might have just what you are looking for... also the Glee novels.

Drama-
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8125976-the-devil-s-in-the-diva

Glee-
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8430868-the-beginning

Alex

Khy said...

TMI by Sarah Quigley is awesomeness. And there are more I just can't think of them now. o.o

xjd7410@gmail.com said...

christian louboutin outlet
tory burch outlet
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet online
cheap oakley sunglasses
gucci outlet
kobe bryant shoes
louis vuitton handbags
toms sale
burberry outlet
jordan 4 toro
asics outlet
supra shoes
christian louboutin outlet
rolex submariner
polo outlet
tods outlet online
nfl jerseys wholesale
beats solo 2
louis vuitton purses
authentic louis vuitton handbags
timberland outlet
coach outlet store online
coach outlet store online
ralph lauren polo
nike basketball shoes
michael kors handbags
coach factory outlet
adidas shoes
chenyingying2016809

chenmeinv0 said...

michael kors outlet clearance
burberry outlet
louis vuitton purses
rolex watches outlet
louboutin pas cher
mbt shoes
louboutin shoes
coach outlet online
canada goose sale
cheap uggs
michael kors outlet
montblanc pens
cheap ugg boots
louis vuitton outlet
chanel outlet
fitflop sandals
coach outlet online
michael kors
coach outlet
adidas trainers uk
ugg outlet
jordan shoes
cavaliers jerseys
tiffany and co jewelry
cheap rolex watches
doudoune canada goose
chaussures ugg
ray ban sunglasses outlet
cheap jordan shoes
louis vuitton handbags
chenyingying20161102

Unknown said...

michael kors outletthrow
michael kors handbagsso
birkenstock sandalsparty
cheap nfl jerseysIt's
the north faceof
fitflops sale clearanceARE
michael kors handbags wholesalefor
yeezy boost 350 whitelink
tiffany and co outletis
ed hardy clothingfor