Friday, October 8, 2010

iDrakula by Bekka Black


The classic vampire story that started it all gets new life for a generation of connected teens

18-year-old Jonathan Harker is diagnosed with a rare blood disorder after visiting a Romanian Count. His girlfriend Mina and a pre-med student named Van Helsing team up to investigate the source of the disease. The teenagers discover a horrifying truth: the Count is a vampire.


This book was… interesting. I read it in thirty minutes and never quite knew what was going on. It was written in e-mail, text, and instant message form from different points of views of all the characters, which made it more confusing.
After I had read a little bit of it, I starting getting upset with the characters. They were completely clueless to the situation at hand. While reading, I could guess just about everything that was going to happen, which I don’t like in a book. I picked it up thinking it was going to be a cute enjoyable quick read, and only half of those thoughts came true.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the way Black incorporated the use of technology, because I think a lot of teens will enjoy it. It’s good if you’re interested in twitter, email, texting, etc. and if you’re looking for something fast to read. I liked it O.K., it confused me and it wasn’t the best book I’ve read, but it definitely wasn’t the worst book I’ve read either.
It was a short, modern-day retelling of the original Dracula by Bram Stoker. I liked that it used modern-day ways of communicating to tell the story. But, it personally just didn’t click with me.


FTC-Received from Sarah of Sarah’s Random Musings.


1 comment:

Nina said...

Sorry to hear that this wasn't the right book for you. I read a dutch book earlier this month which was setup the same way and I did not like it either. So I don't know I will try this one. Thanks for the honest review. :)