Monday, March 25, 2013

Miles from Ordinary by Carol Lynch Williams

Miles from OrdinaryThirteen-year-old Lacey wakes to a beautiful summer morning excited to begin her new job at the library, just as her mother is supposed to start work at the grocery store. Lacey hopes that her mother's ghosts have finally been laid to rest; after all, she seems so much better these days, and they really do need the money. But as the hours tick by and memories come flooding back, a day full of hope spins terrifyingly out of control...

I had no idea what to expect when I picked up Miles from Ordinary. I was first drawn to it because of the cover (which I absolutely love). Miles from Ordinary is also a super small book, which was appealing to me at the time. Though it is small, Williams is able to pack a huge punch with her writing. This book was hectic and addicting and beautiful.

I felt so much sympathy towards Lacey. She’s young, and living with just her mother. However, the icing on the sympathy-cake is that her mom is dealing with a mental illness. This is where the already serious book takes an even more serious turn. Lacey’s mom believes that her dead father (Lacey’s grandfather) is living with them. After we learn this, the backstory of the characters slowly starts to unfold. Readers then learn about Lacey’s family history, and why her mom is the way she is.

Miles from Ordinary took me by surprise. I didn’t love it, but it was definitely way different than I thought it was going to be. Carol Lynch Williams wrote a haunting story that you won’t be able to get out of your head.

FTC- Bought.

1 comment:

Born Bookish said...

The cover is what drew me to this one too. I also found it very easy to sympathize toward Lacey and her situation. She was just so young to be dealing with everything herself. I didn't love it either but it was haunting that's for sure!