Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Second Chance SummerTaylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.
Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.
As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.

Second Chance Summer blew me away. After loving Matson’s previous novel, Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour, I was wary of how this one might be in comparison. The only things Matson’s books have in common with each other is how much I loved reading them. Second Chance Summer is an amazing summer beach read.

Taylor was a really strong main character. She was able to handle the huge things going on in her life, while still trying to work on the smaller ones. At times she got on my nerves, but the rest of the book was so good that I don’t mind her occasionally annoying me. All of the other characters were great as well.They were able to tug at my heartstrings throughout the whole novel.

Second Chance Summer had me crying like there’s no tomorrow. I don’t think it’s a sad book, but there are sad parts in it. The summary doesn’t give the story justice, and to me it makes it sound like a romance. It is about so much more than that (so if you’re not into romances, please don’t get the wrong idea about Second Chance Summer). Besides being about love, Second Chance Summer is also about family, and trying to cope with devastating news (like the news Taylor’s family gets). It’s about restoring old friendships and learning to forgive people, and trying to have a good time when all you want to do is curl up into a ball.

This book was amazing. Since originally reading it, I’ve already re-read it twice, and it never gets old. Morgan Matson is an extraordinarily talented writer, and I can’t wait to read her next book!

FTC- Bought

4 comments:

Kapri (Book Fanatics) said...

I'm so glad to hear that this book is good because I loved Amy and Roger and don't want this book to disappoint.

We Heart YA said...

We. Want. This. Book.

And have ever since we read the premise. So glad to hear that it lives up! We haven't read AMY AND ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR, but we'll add that to our list as well!

Steph: Short and Sweet said...

Sounds pretty good! I don't like the fact that it made you cry, because I like to avoid those books. I might give it a try though!
Thanks for the review :)

Steph: Short and Sweet

Julia @ That Hapa Chick said...

I was a huge, HUGE fan of Amy and Roger's Epic Detour so to say that I'm dying to read Second Chance Summer would be an understatement. I'm glad that SCS measures up! I'm definitely ready for a good sobworthy beach read. :D