Sunday, November 28, 2010

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson


Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute...


I honestly don’t know why it took me so long to read this book. I had tried reading it in the past but just couldn’t get into it. This time around, once I started reading I was hooked. Anderson wrote an unforgettable story that will change lives. I honestly don’t know what to say about this book. It should be a book that goes down in History. Melinda is a really strong character for what she faced.
Laurie Halse Anderson has incredible talent when it comes to writing characters. She fills her books with their emotions perfectly, and Speak was no exception. I think everybody should read this book. Anderson wrote an unforgettable novel. Speak is the type of book that involves a lot of waiting. After every few pages I just had to stop reading and process everything that I had just read. This was a hard book to read and it has definitely impacted my life. Laurie Halse Anderson is an amazing writer.

FTC- Bought.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There are many books out there about rape and depression, but none so poignant as Speak. Anderson throws out tidbits of information as to why Melinda grows increasingly reclusive. The internal conflict she suffers makes one wonder how she locked it all inside without going utterly insane. Art keeps her afloat. Her tree project acts as an analogy; as the tree begins to take shape, she gradually becomes stronger. Shedding light on the perils of high school life, Speak shouts out to the shy and rejected to speak up and be heard. I loved this book.

Mica
Best Reviews for Goshen NY house cleaning click here