Friday, June 11, 2010

Crank by Ellen Hopkins


Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina -- she's fearless.

Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul -- her life.




This book was hauntingly gorgeous. It’s about a teenagers downward spiral into the arms of the drug, Crystal Meth. I couldn’t stop reading this book. But, the one time I did stop reading, I went to sleep and then dreamed about the book and about Kristina/Bree. Crank is a book that will stay with you for days, weeks, and maybe even months.
Personally, reading it was hell because of the mindset I was in. You’re reading it as if you’re Kristina/Bree, the person who is on the Meth. It’s horrible what this character had to go through. Some may argue that it was her choice to become addicted to this drug. You have to think though, she only wanted to try it. Once she tried it she didn’t have much control over the monster and how it wanted more.
After reading this, part of me didn’t want to read the second one because I was afraid to be in that mindset again. But, another part of me wanted to read the second book because Ellen Hopkins had amazing writing skills. She knows how to make you feel and how to write characters that or horrible, yet you believe they exist. I loved Crank. It is an emotional rollercoaster ride, that I couldn’t stop reading.

FTC- Received from publisher.