Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler


I picked up this book at a used bookshop I happened to come across. I absolutely loved the movie, and I figured "Why not read it? The movie was good, the book is probably better." So, I bought it. Here is a short summary:

In California’s Central Valley, five women and one man join to discuss Jane Austen’s novels. Over the six months they get together, marriages are tested, affairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable, and love happens.


This book was OK. I read it fairly fast, and it was a nice read. I liked how it had to do with books.But I still have read better. Some other things I liked about it where that it wasn't a sad story; I had read a lot of sad books, but then I picked that up and it wasn't sad. So, that was surprisingly refreshing.
If you like Jane Austen and books having to do with her books, I recommend this.



Silence is silver, but Books are golden...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought it was okay, but I didn't really like it. I liked the idea of a Jane Austen book club, but I kept confusing who the characters were and their stories and all that.

Anonymous said...

I thought this book was just ok but I love Pride and Prejudice.