Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains) by Laurie Boyle Crompton

Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)Blaze is tired of spending her life on the sidelines, drawing comics and feeling invisible. She's desperate for soccer star Mark to notice her. And when her BFF texts Mark a photo of Blaze in sexy lingerie, it definitely gets his attention. After a hot date in the back of her minivan, Blaze is flying high, but suddenly Mark's feelings seem to have been blasted by a freeze-ray gun, and he dumps her. Blaze gets her revenge by posting a comic strip featuring uber-villain Mark the Shark. Mark then retaliates by posting her "sext" photo, and, overnight, Blaze goes from Super Virgin Girl to Super Slut. That life on the sidelines is looking pretty good right about now...
I was first attracted to this book when I read its title. Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains) is an epic title. And once I read the summary, I just had to read it. Blaze is a super short book. I read it mostly while at the gym, yet it was able to keep me hooked the whole time.
Blaze was awesome. She was intelligent, nerdy, and someone who I could totally see myself being friends with. I loved her love of comic books and her snarky humor. I also loved that she had a soccer mom can- it adds so much personality to the story! The relationship between Blaze and brother is one of the best parts of this  book. The bickering between them was incredibly real- and I loved every minute of it.
The situation that Blaze is put through is terrible, but I think she handled it well. Though I admit that what Blaze did to Mark wasn’t completely fair, what Mark did to Blaze wasn’t fair either. The whole debacle was crazy, but I think it was really well written. There aren’t a whole lot of books about this topic, and I think it’s an important one to explore.
This was Laurie Boyle Crompton’s first novel, and I can’t wait to read her next ones. Though Blaze was shorter than I wanted it to be (I would have loved to spend more time with the characters), I really enjoyed reading about Blaze and her story.
FTC- Received as an eGalley from Edelweiss.

1 comment:

Bellas Shelf said...

I am so excited to read this book. I love the cover so much. I wish I had the guts to dye my hair like that :(
It sounds like a book you enjoyed too. I have it waiting (im)patiently on my Kindle. I wish authors would stop writing good books long enough for me to catch up. lolz..
Bella's W.O.W