Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Meant to BeMeant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question.
It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").
But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.
Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.

This book is adorable. Before buying it, I had heard a lot of good things about it. Because of this, I had super high expectations. All of these expectations were met, and then some. I was immediately drawn to Meant to Be. Especially when I learned that it takes place in London (gosh, I love London). Meant to Be is a small book, but it’s still extremely well paced. There wasn’t a dull moment, and I couldn’t stop reading.

Julia’s whole MTB rule is really interesting. I don’t necessarily agree with it, but it is indeed interesting. It provided a different kind of romantic YA story. Julia’s search for the person in charge of the mysterious texts can come off as obsessive at times, but I liked her persistence. Jason was great. I admit, at first I didn’t like him. He annoyed me. However, like many guys in YA literature, I quickly fell in love with him.

Lauren Morrill is a fantastic writer. Meant to Be was really cute, but it was also intense and funny. I highly recommend Meant to Be. It’s a fast read, and you won’t be able to put it down!

FTC- Bought.

No comments: