Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Also Known As by Robin Benway

Also Known AsBeing a 16-year-old safecracker and active-duty daughter of international spies has its moments, good and bad. Pros: Seeing the world one crime-solving adventure at a time. Having parents with super cool jobs. Cons: Never staying in one place long enough to have friends or a boyfriend. But for Maggie Silver, the biggest perk of all has been avoiding high school and the accompanying cliques, bad lunches, and frustratingly simple locker combinations.
Then Maggie and her parents are sent to New York for her first solo assignment, and all of that changes. She'll need to attend a private school, avoid the temptation to hack the school's security system, and befriend one aggravatingly cute Jesse Oliver to gain the essential information she needs to crack the case . . . all while trying not to blow her cover.

I am, and always have been a huge fan of Robin Benway’s novels. Because of this, I had huge expectations for Also Known As. Luckily, all of my expectations were more than met. Benway is an amazing writer. She’s able to craft a well-written, humorous story that holds your attention until the very end. It also had spies! I love spies.

Maggie was fabulous. She was smart, witty, and totally kick-butt. I liked that she was still a realistic teen character, even though she is a freaking spy! I loved her. Maggie’s parents were great too. One of the things I love most about Benway’s writing is her ability to make all the characters real, even the parents. Instead of being divorced/dead/other, Benway made Maggie’s parents like most parents. They’re dysfunctional, but they still have their own personalities.

Also Known As was fabulous. I loved every minute that I was reading it. Benway’s writing is fast-paced (I read the book in one sitting) and unmistakably hilarious. Fans of The Gallagher Girl books will love this. But, I recommend it to everybody who’s looking for a good spy novel, or just a book that will make them laugh.

FTC- Received from publisher.