Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch

imageAfter the death of her free-spirited mother, sixteen-year-old Alex Lee must leave her home in northern California to live with her wealthy grandmother in Savannah, Georgia. By birth, Alex is a rightful, if unwilling, member of the Magnolia League, Savannah's long-standing debutante society. She quickly discovers that the Magnolias have made a pact with a legendary hoodoo family, the Buzzards. The Magnolias enjoy youth, beauty and power. But at what price?
As in her popular adult novels, Crouch's poignant and humorous voice shines in this seductively atmospheric story about girls growing up in a magical Southern city.

I was reluctant to start reading The Magnolia League, because I thought it wasn’t going to live up to all the hype I had heard about it. Luckily, Katie Crouch’s writing came through. The Magnolia League was a fast paced novel. It captured southern essence perfectly. The little southern hierarchy thing that was going on was both creeping and alluring, and I loved reading about it.

My biggest problem with The Magnolia League was that Alex’s background was stereotypical. Alex leaves California after her mom dies to go and live with her grandmother in Savanna, Georgia. When she was still living with her mom in California, they were considered hippies. It’s that part of her background that I don’t agree with. We’re told that she grew up on a communal-type land where her and her mom grew plants. I know that there are communal-type places in California, but it seems like having the character grow up in one of those places follows a stereotype.

Other than that, I really enjoyed The Magnolia League. I liked how mysterious it was. Katie Crouch is als a really good writer. There was amazing character development, and I think she described the atmosphere of the south perfectly.

FTC- Received from publisher.

No comments: