Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

imageOn the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites;like fire and ice;Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

This book was fabulous. It kind of suffered paranormal-book syndrome, but it eventually morphed out of it. I’m not going to lie- it took me awhile to finish A Beautiful Dark. I found the beginning a little slow. The characters didn’t really interest me right off the bat. Luckily, I started to pick up interest.

Skye was at times a little too moody for my taste, but overall she was a strong main character. There were also times when I wanted to jump into the novel and shake her for being so gullible. Asher and Devin present the oh-so-famous battles between light/dark, heaven/hell, bad/good boy. Me, being the reader who almost always goes in the bad boy direction- was swooning over Asher in no time.

The ending was confusing. I read this book awhile ago, and I’m still stumped on what went on. The ending is probably my main complaint about this book. Maybe that was the goal of the author- to leave the reader questioning what they just read- if it was her goal, then I tip my hat to her. But back to my point, after finishing A Beautiful Dark- I had to go back and reread the last chapter a few times, and even then I didn’t fully understand what was going on. Despite not fully knowing what was going on, A Beautiful Dark still left me wanting more.

I can’t wait for the sequel, and I think Jocelyn Davies did a nice job writing A Beautiful Dark. Despite the few things I disliked about it, this novel was still a really nice read. It’s a perfect novel to read when curled up in bed and trying to keep out of the winter cold.

FTC- Publisher.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I'm sorry it took you a while to get into it and to read it, and there were a lot of things you didn't like about it. But I'm glad you liked it in the end. =)

I've had this on my tbr list for a while, hopefully I'll get to it soon.

Great review!