Thursday, October 13, 2011

Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe

imageWhen high school junior Sara wins a coveted scholarship to study ballet, she must sacrifice everything for her new life as a professional dancer-in-training. Living in a strange city with a host family, she's deeply lonely-until she falls into the arms of Remington, a choreographer in his early twenties. At first, she loves being Rem's muse, but as she discovers a surprising passion for writing, she begins to question whether she's chosen the right path. Is Rem using her, or is it the other way around? And is dancing still her dream, or does she need something more?

So many people have raved to me about Audition. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed. I think part of my problem with Audition was that I set a high standard when it comes to novels that are written in verse. Most of the authors that have written in verse have done such a good job of it, that I have a hard time opening up to new verse authors. So that was one of my issues with Audition.

I also found the main character pretty unlikable. From the start of the book, she complains about being involved in ballet. If she doesn’t like it, then I am oblivious as to why she keeps learning to be a ballerina. I also felt like once the boy was introduced, she became a little consumed with him. That’s totally ok, that sort of thing happens in real life all the time- I just wasn’t in the mood to read about it.

I’m sure this book is really awesome. It just wasn’t the right time for me to read it.

FC- Publisher.

No comments: