Monday, September 26, 2011

Possess by Gretchen McNeil

imageFifteen-year-old Bridget Liu just wants to be left alone: by her mom, by the cute son of a local police sergeant, and by the eerie voices she can suddenly and inexplicably hear. Unfortunately for Bridget, it turns out the voices are demons – and Bridget has the rare ability to banish them back to whatever hell they came from.
Terrified to tell people about her new power, Bridget confides in a local priest who enlists her help in increasingly dangerous cases of demonic possession. But just as she is starting to come to terms with her new power, Bridget receives a startling message from one of the demons. Now Bridget must unlock the secret to the demons' plan before someone close to her winds up dead – or worse, the human vessel of a demon king.

First, let me say how much I love this cover. It’s beyond fabulous.

I read this book a few weeks ago and just realized that I hadn’t reviewed it yet. Possess was badass. Gretchen McNeil is such an amazing writer, and she completely nailed her debut novel. Possess was also pretty scary at times. I was clutching my blanket while reading it in the middle of the night, scared that my house was possessed.

Bridget was so… real. Yes, she’s like the Buffy of demon banishing but she’s also really down to earth. She was also an independent character, which I always admire. For once, there was kind of the type of relationship going on where the male lead was a little more needy and protective (which is refreshing because normally, I’ve noticed, the girls are the more needy and protective ones in novels).

McNeil wrote a creepy and interesting novel that you’ll want to pick up*. Though, if I were you, I would keep the lights on while reading. The characters were all really well written, and the story is one that you won’t forget. Gretchen McNeil is an author that you’ll want to watch- her upcoming novels are sure to be amazing.

FTC- Publisher.

*My mom is reading my copy right now, which is saying a lot. My mom normally doesn’t read much.

No comments: