Monday, September 26, 2011

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

image"These violent delights have violent ends And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume."
—Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

The most tragic love story in history . . .

Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.

So. Amazing.

That was my first impression after finishing Juliet Immortal. This is a quick novel, one of the ones you can’t put down- no matter how much you need to go to bed. I’ve read most of Stacey Jay’s other novels and have loved them all, but I think Juliet Immortal may be my favorite.

Juliet was a strong, realistic character. She was fierce, angry, intense, and at times vulnerable- especially when face to face with Romeo. Romeo was so frustrating. He’s one of those characters that I wanted to give a chance because I’ve heard that people like him in Juliet Immortal. Sadly, no matter how hard I tried, I didn’t like him. It wasn’t because he wasn’t written well (he was written very well) but because his personality (as portrayed in this book) is incredibly frustrating. Like Juliet, I didn’t know when to believe him. Both characters were fun to read about- their whole journey was a nonstop thrill ride of anticipation.

My only complaint is that at times, I got a little confused as to what was going on. But when that happened, I just reread the last few pages and carried on with the story. Juliet Immortal had great pacing and remained addicting throughout the whole book. I admit that I haven’t read Romeo and Juliet yet (I own it, does that count?). Though I only have a rough understanding of the story, I was still able to read Juliet Immortal without getting confused with the references and occasional dialogue from the play.

Stacey Jay wrote an amazing book that I highly recommend to anybody. It’s well written and has some amazing characters. I can’t wait to read the follow-up to Juliet Immortal, Romeo Redeemed, which is coming out Fall of next year (it can’t come soon enough!).

FTC- Bought.

No comments: