Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Kiss It by Erin Downing


A girl's gotta do who a girl's gotta do.

Chastity Bryan has never been shy about going after what she wants. And when sexy, mysterious, so-not-from-this-town Sebastian walks into Chaz's life, she knows in an instant that what she wants next is him. Chaz has no intention of playing for keeps—but she most definitely has intentions. Who needs true love when you've got true lust?

Sebastian has no idea what he's in for—but maybe neither does Chaz?


This book is not what you’d expect. I was expecting some light and fluffy novel that I could just read and it would be lovely. Kiss It was so much more and so much more different than what I thought it was going to be. While I was reading it most of what I was thinking was “mysterious boy… ooo. Wow, this book talks about sex a lot. Wow, this book really talks about sex a lot. Dang… this book is talking about sex a little too much.” But looking back at it, Kiss It talked about way more than that. More than anything, Kiss It is about self-discovery. I was so surprised at all the talk about sex because it isn’t talked about a lot in one YA book. It’s talking about a little in every book, but it doesn’t really go deep into the characters feeling about it. I felt that Kiss It did go deeper. Erin Downing wrote emotions that a lot of teens have and that a lot of YA writers don’t write about.
Chaz, like any teenager is trying to find herself. Then Sebastian comes in. Let me just gives you a heads up- if a book contains a love interest who is named something that isn’t very common, like Sebastian… I will most likely love that character*. When Sebastian first came in though, it was just awkward. I don’t really know what to make of this story. It isn’t incredibly memorable, but it is incredibly daring. Within the first few pages, I honestly thought I was going to put it down because of the vulgarity of it. I don’t recommend this to people who can’t handle books that talk about sex a lot. I don’t know whether to praise Downing for writing a novel that nobody expected or to just go on my marry way.



*What can I say? Uncommon names are awesome.

FTC- Library.

No comments: