Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.




The DUFF is a thrilling debut novel from teenage-novelist Kody Keplinger. It tells the story of a high school teen who struggles with being the D.U.F.F. (Designated Ugly Fat Friend). I think a lot of teens will be able to relate to Bianca and her struggles. Not only does she struggle with being the D.U.F.F., she also struggles with boys, and family.
Though it has a lot of sexual scenes, they tie into the book and are there for a reason. Wesley is the boy that you know you shouldn’t love but you do. He is charming and knows how to get what he wants. Bianca is a strong female character who isn’t afraid to insult people, and even though she doesn’t really know who she is, it still seems like she does know who she is.
I keep going back and re-reading it because of how much I can personally relate to it. I'm the "average" one in my group of friends.
This book is snarky, serious, hilarious, and completely relatable.
The DUFF is a really good book, I recommend it to teen girls who are looking for a book where the main character is like a best friend. I loved this book, and I hope you do to. I can’t wait to read more books from Kody.


FTC- Received from publisher

2 comments:

Nina said...

I heard so much about this book, that I wonder why I didn't added it to my tbrlist. But now I have. ;) Nice review!

Scarlette said...

I can't wait to read this book. Great Review. I've just started a blog and I've placed your blog on my Awesome Blog's list. Your reviews are nicely crafted. My blog is at this site: http://www.thesecretbooklover.blogspot.com/
Hope you can check it out and give me some feedback.