Thursday, January 3, 2013

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

TeethBe careful what you believe in.
Rudy’s life is flipped upside-down when his family moves to a remote island in a last attempt to save his sick younger brother. With nothing to do but worry, Rudy sinks deeper and deeper into loneliness and lies awake at night listening to the screams of the ocean beneath his family’s rickety house.
Then he meets Diana, who makes him wonder what he even knows about love, and Teeth, who makes him question what he knows about anything. Rudy can’t remember the last time he felt so connected to someone, but being friends with Teeth is more than a little bit complicated. He soon learns that Teeth has terrible secrets. Violent secrets. Secrets that will force Rudy to choose between his own happiness and his brother’s life.

Teeth is a weird book. Not bad weird. Not bad at all. Teeth is amazing, heartbreaking, life changing, and definitely not even close to being bad-weird. I say that it’s weird because of how brilliantly original it is. Hannah is a fantastic writer, and has been one of my favorite authors since I read her first novel Break. I wasn’t at all disappointed when I read Teeth.

Hannah created such a great world. While in the process of writing/editing Teeth, Hannah gave it the nickname Magic Gay Fish- so I was automatically interested. When the book finally sold, I was super excited to read it. Then when I was able to read it, I was so pleased with what I read. The characters were so well written. Their emotions were real and intense- just the way I like it. Rudy had so much drive and emotion, but was also just really nice to read about. Teeth (the magicgayfish) was fantastic. I loved him.

What I wasn’t expecting was just how freaking sad this book was going to be. Hannah’s books are usually emotional. They usually make me cry. I knew that I was probably going to end up crying at some point while reading Teeth. But this book didn’t just make me tear up. No, I was completely emotionally invested.

I don’t know what else to say about Teeth, except that I loved it. The plot is out there and I know there are probably a lot of people out there that will be skeptical to read it. But, oh my gosh you should pick this book up. It is fantastic. While you’re picking up Teeth, you should also really check out all of Hannah’s other books- they’re amazing.

FTC- Received on Edelweiss.

2 comments:

We Heart YA said...

Awesome! BREAK didn't really interest us, then INVINCIBLE SUMMER started to, but this is the one that we've been really, really curious about. So we're glad to hear it's a good read!

Unknown said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.
dentist reviews