Monday, January 28, 2013

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King

Astrid Jones desperately wants to confide in someone, but her mother's pushiness and her father's lack of interest tell her they're the last people she can trust. Instead, Astrid spends hours lying on the backyard picnic table watching airplanes fly overhead. She doesn't know the passengers inside, but they're the only people who won't judge her when she asks them her most personal questions . . . like what it means that she's falling in love with a girl.
As her secret relationship becomes more intense and her friends demand answers, Astrid has nowhere left to turn. She can't share the truth with anyone except the people at thirty thousand feet, and they don't even know she's there. But little does Astrid know just how much even the tiniest connection will affect these strangers' lives--and her own--for the better.

Ask the Passengers was beautiful. A.S. King has really outdone herself with this novel. I couldn’t stop reading Ask the Passengers, I was completely hooked and wanted to bring it everywhere with me.

Astrid was an amazing character. She was thoughtful, interesting, and extremely real. I loved how she would give her love to the people on the plane. It seemed so intimate, yet modest. Her personality was just so good. Astrid was easy to relate to because like many people, she doesn’t want to be categorized into a box- she doesn’t see a point in it. Her love of philosophy and Socrates was an awesome quirk that really made her, her.

A.S. King is a fantastic writer. She’s extremely quotable. All of her books are beautiful and thoughtful, and Ask the Passengers isn’t any different. This novel made me think. It made me want to think deeply more, and to appreciate all the world has to offer. Astrid made me want to try and do what she does- send love to the people in the sky, or just to people in general. Ask the Passengers as an overall story was nothing short of spectacular.

FTC- Received as a gift.

3 comments:

We Heart YA said...

Beautiful, amazing, fantastic, spectacular. Dang. We are sold!

Extremely Average said...

I can't think of higher praise than a reader taking a book everywhere with them. I've certainly felt that way with books. I am reading an Elmore Leonard novel, now, that I accidentally left at home, today. It made me a little grouchy.

Nicely done review.

Julia @ That Hapa Chick said...

I love all of A.S. Kings stuff so I'm really looking forward to reading this, especially since you found it so engrossing. I also just love the name Astrid. Just know the protagonist has that name is making me want to read this book even more. Strange, but true. >.<