Friday, June 29, 2012

One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

A moving debut novel about a foster child learning to open her heart to a family's love
Carley uses humor and street smarts to keep her emotional walls high and thick. But the day she becomes a foster child, and moves in with the Murphys, she's blindsided. This loving, bustling family shows Carley the stable family life she never thought existed, and she feels like an alien in their cookie-cutter-perfect household. Despite her resistance, the Murphys eventually show her what it feels like to belong--until her mother wants her back and Carley has to decide where and how to live. She's not really a Murphy, but the gifts they've given her have opened up a new future.

I don’t generally read middle grade books, but I’ve been on a MG kick recently, which made me decide to pick up One for the Murphys. I’m so glad I decided to pick this book up. It’s restored my love of middle grade novels. One for the Murphys is a beautiful read. It had me laughing and crying all the way through!

This story is really special. Carley is moved into a foster home after something horrible happens to her. Readers aren’t made aware of what happened to her immediately. The truth is revealed through numerous flashbacks. As what happened is revealed, we learn more about why Carley acts the way she does.

One of my biggest loves of this story is the characters. I loved the Murphys- they were all spectacular. Mrs. Murphy is incredibly loving, and has an awesome sense of humor. The Murphy sons were all great characters, and I fell quickly in love with them all. I felt horrible about what Carley had to go through, and I really admired her for her strength. Her dry sense of humor was great and provided perfect comedic relief to the tense parts of the story.

You should really pick up One for the Murphys to add to your to-read pile. You won’t regret it. But if you’re like me and cry during books, I would be sure to have some tissues with you.

FTC- Received from publisher.

2 comments:

Kapri (Book Fanatics) said...

I'm not usually one to read middle grade, either, but this one looks good. Thanks for sharing!

Lynda Mullaly Hunt said...

Hey, Zoe ~ Thanks so much for this lovely review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed meeting Carley and the Murphys. :-)