Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hothouse by Chris Lynch


If you do it right, it can be a life. The hothouse, the guys, the glory. But just like that, it can all go up in smoke.

In the beginning it was strange, ya know, because of all that we had lost. But there was something about it that felt so good and so right, too: "I'm so proud of you, Russ." "We'll always be here for you, man." "Heroes don't pay for nothin' in this town." It was nonstop. The mayor shook my hand. Ladies sent food. I've never eaten so much baked ham in my life.

And now? Now the phone won't stop ringing from the crazies ready to blame me. My mom has to cry herself to sleep. They take a firefighter, a man, and they pump him up so big. . . . But once they start taking it away from you, they don't stop until they leave nothing on the bones.

First they needed heroes, then they needed blood.




Going into Hothouse, I didn’t think I would like it at all but it surprised me. I ended up liking Hothouse more because under its tough firefighter exterior, there is a really sweet and meaningful center. I felt that Chris Lynch did a wonderful job writing about loss in a beautiful, productive way that will appeal to both girls and boys.
The two boys in this novel struggle with trying to find out the real meaning of a hero and what makes a good father. I found out that reading Hothouse is hard. The emotional impact is monstrous. Russell is a character that teen boys will be able to relate to (even though it might not be in a direct way).
I couldn’t put this book down. I hated reading it because it was so emotionally draining, but I loved that I read it. The two boys in this novel are stunning in their own way and I loved reading about them. This is an amazing book that I recommend to anyone, especially boys.


FTC- Publisher.

4 comments:

M.A.D. said...

Great review! Just reading the excerpt grabbed me too, could see what you meant about Hothouse being a powerful, emotional experience! Not really sure this is something for me or not, but it sounds like an excellent book~

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

Looks great!

Anonymous said...

In case you do it right, it can be a life. The hothouse, the fellows, the glory. But like that, it can all go up in smoke.
Orlando FL Homes for Sale

Penelope Sanchez said...

Hothouse is a terrific novel, both in plot and the teen voice. Russell and DJ, best friends who remained neighbors but drifted apart, are drawn together when their fathers are killed in a fire. Both the teen and adults sound real (if a bit more clever than I was at that age.) This book is ideal for mature 8th grader readers or those in high school. There is a bit of romance, a lot of meaty plot, depth of character and humor.

Penelope
Click Here