Monday, September 13, 2010

An Interview with Adele Griffin


I had the lovely opportunity to ask Adele Griffin, author of The Julian Game a few questions. Here they are-


1. How did you get the idea for The Julian Game?
I love "bad influence" stories. My very favorites are The Bad Seed and The Secret History and the The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I think Julian came out of that love of reading books about "the wild, dangerous friend." It's such curl-up-and-shiver material.

2. You've written a vampire series that is marketed as middle grade and The J
ulian Game (as well as other books) that is marketed as young adult. Which do you prefer writing?
The fun of series books is never saying good-bye to the character, and younger readers are so appreciative, they just delight in the escape. But I think I am more invested (as a writer) in attempting to capture the raw emotions of young adults. Girls on the edge. First love. First heartbreak. I love to write into that peculiar exuberance.

3. I saw on another blog that The Julia
n Game went through multiple cover changes. Out of all the covers, do you like the final one best? If not, what would you change about it?
LOVE the final. We went back and forth in the first, but once I saw that girl with her hand flat, as if she were about to execute some kind of dreadful torture, I just went --- Ahhhh. Yes.

4. Do you have anything else that you would like to add?
We're in the process of putting up vlogs for www.thejuliangame.com. They are wonderful and absurd and I think people will get a kick out of them, so please visit.