Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Playing With Her Heart by Lauren Blakely

** This book contains some sexual content that isn’t appropriate for younger audiences.**

17452343When you’re acting the role of a lifetime, how can you know if love is real—or all just a part of the show?
Twenty-three year old rising theatre star Jill McCormick has built a life out of pretending. Pretending she’s happy, pretending her long-distance crushes add up to something real, pretending she’s not haunted by the dark secret that shattered her world six years ago. Cast in her first Broadway show, she desperately needs to keep her façade intact, but that’s before she comes face to face with her devastating new boss…
Hot-shot director Davis Milo knows the first rule of directing: never fall for your leading lady. Captivated by Jill’s raw talent, he fights his feelings, but watching Jill on-stage with another man is more than his jealous streak can take. Keeping things professional isn’t an option. He wants all of her.
Soon the ingénue and her director are staying late in the empty theatre, their private rehearsals spiraling into new, forbidden territory. Caught up between fiction and reality, Jill struggles to find the truth in all their staged kisses. But how can she be sure that what she feels is real, and not a part of the play? And when two people spend their lives pretending, what happens after the final curtain falls?

I admit it, I was one of those people who "didn't read romance books". I thought it wasn't my thing and all I could think of when I thought about romance books were the masses of older ladies coming into the used bookstore I used to work at- all purchasing huge hoards of romance books. They would usually finish the stack of books within a week, and would then proceed to come back for more. So up until yesterday, I didn't read romance books.

And then I read Playing With Her Heart. And now I would proudly say that I read romance books, because Lauren Blakely has changed my mind. In the past day, I've read three of Lauren's four books. All of them have been beyond fantastic, but Playing With Her Heart has been the one that's stuck with me the most.

Not only are the characters good, but so is the writing. Blakely captured me from the very first page. I was immediately hooked, and couldn't stop reading. Jill is a strong minded main character who isn't afraid to go out and get what she wants. She wants a career on Broadway- and she gets it. She wants Davis Milo- and she gets him too. Jill, like the rest of the characters in Playing With Her Heart was very well written. She had an incredible amount of depth. Her past, and the way she tried to hide it, added so much to her character. Jill wasn't just what she appeared to be on the outside- she was so much more. She jumped off of the page, and completely took over. Another character that did this was the gorgeous,dark, and brooding Davis Milo. I always talk about loving YA book boys, but Davis Milo is definitely my favorite romance book boy. Every scene with him was electric. He took over the story and demanded to be noticed. Any scene with him is guaranteed to be extremely sexy and extremely unforgettable.

Lauren Blakely is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. Playing With Her Heart captured my heart, and I don't want to let it go. Davis and Jill were both fantastic characters, and I really want to know more of their story. This is a must read for anyone who is looking for a good, steamy story that doesn’t fall short when it comes to depth.

FTC- Bought.

No comments: