Monday, November 19, 2012

34 Pieces of You by Carmen Rodrigues

34 Pieces of YouA dark and moving novel—reminiscent of Thirteen Reasons Why—about the mystery surrounding a teenage girl’s fatal overdose.
There was something about Ellie... Something dangerous. Charismatic. Broken. Jake looked out for her. Sarah followed her lead. And Jess kept her distance, and kept watch.
Now Ellie’s dead, and Jake, Sarah, and Jess are left to pick up the pieces. All they have are 34 clues she left behind. 34 strips of paper hidden in a box beneath her bed. 34 secrets of a brief and painful life.
Jake, Sarah, and Jess all feel responsible for what happened to Ellie, and all three have secrets of their own. As they begin to confront the darkest truths about themselves, they will also find out what Ellie herself had been hiding all along....

This book blew me away. It sat on my bookshelf for a long time before I decided to pick it up because I thought it would be too heavy of a read. While it is filled with deep, emotional topics, Carmen Rodrigues also added lighter aspects to her novel that made it easier to read. I couldn’t put 34 Pieces of You down.

This novel is beautiful. It’s told from three different perspectives, which adds depth to the story and helps develop a fuller view of who Ellie was. Each different perspective was heartbreaking and enlightening. This is one of the only books where I didn’t have a favorite perspective.  34 Pieces of You involves a lot of real-life issues such as alcohol, drugs, sex, severe depression, and sexuality. However, none of this seemed to crowd the story, and just naturally flowed.

34 Pieces of You is a fantastic novel. It’s heartwrenching, emotional, and completely amazing. I couldn’t stop reading it. Even now, a week after I’ve finished it, I can’t get it out of my head. Carmen Rodrigues is a fantastic writer, and I can’t wait to read her next novel.

FTC- Received from publisher.

1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

Sounds interesting! And 13 REASONS WHY was certainly popular, so we wouldn't be surprised if this hit it big too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!