Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ripple by Many Hubbard

imageLexi is cursed with a dark secret. Each day she goes to school like a normal teenager, and each night she must swim, or the pain will be unbearable. She is a siren - a deadly mermaid destined to lure men to their watery deaths. After a terrible tragedy, Lexi shut herself off from the world, vowing to protect the ones she loves. But she soon finds herself caught between a new boy at school who may have the power to melt her icy exterior, and a handsome water spirit who says he can break Lexi's curse if she gives up everything else. Lexi is faced with the hardest decision she's ever had to make: the life she's always longed for - or the love she can't live without?

Ripple was fun in the dark, mysterious, and gripping way. Though it wasn’t as light and fluffy as Mandy’s previous novels, I really liked it. Ripple was a darker take on sirens- or mermaids. I loved that this was a darker mermaid story, I love when normally fluffy tales are morphed into something darker.

Lexi was an awesome main character. She was a little too angsty for my taste, but teenagers are angsty so it’s ok. Lexi was a beautifully flawed character. She was so much like a real teenager, that she was really easy to read about and relate to.

This was a surprising book. There was one thing in particular that happened which caught me totally by surprise (I won’t tell you of course, because I don’t want to say spoilers"). For being a book I wouldn’t have picked up if I hadn’t read the author before, Ripple was surprisingly good. I read it really fast- within a matter of hours- and enjoyed every minute that I was reading it.

Mandy Hubbard is an amazing writer, and I can’t recommend her books enough. Ripple was as amazing as her other two novels You Wish and Prada & Prejudice. You can also check out the book that she has under the pen name Amanda Grace, But I Love Him. It’s a wonderful book.

FTC- Publisher.

1 comment:

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

I can't wait to read this one! I have it on my shelf, but for whatever reason haven't gotten to it yet.