Monday, July 4, 2011

An Interview with Jennifer Brown

image

On the blog today, I have Jennifer Brown. Jennifer is the author of Hate List and the recently released novel Bitter End. I hope you enjoy the interview!

1. Both of your books are about serious topics. Have you ever thought of writing something lighter and more fluffy?
For over four years I wrote a weekly humor column for The Kansas City Star, so I am definitely no stranger to light and fluffy. I gave it up to pursue my novel career, but there is definitely that silly side of me lurking around in there. I actually have written lighter, fluffier novels (in fact, I've written four of them!), but they just haven't sold. In fact, when I wrote Hate List, I was very nervous at first, because it was such a giant departure from what I normally wrote.
I'm a big believer in writing the story that wants to be written, and trying out new genres. So you never know...maybe I'll get a light, fluffy novel out there on the shelves someday.


image2. Was writing Bitter End emotionally straining? How did it effect your life outside of writing?
In some ways, Bitter End was not as emotionally straining as Hate List, because so much of Hate List was personal to me, and Bitter End was not as personal for me. But then on the other hand, I felt a real connection with Bitter End's main character, Alex, and I really hated putting her through the things I was putting her through. So, yeah, it was straining in that way.
I try not to let what I'm writing affect my life outside of writing too much. I'm a stay-at-home mom of three, and my kids deserve to have a mom who is focused on them. If I were writing a book that, say, depressed me, I would likely put it aside, because it wouldn't be fair to do that to my family. That said, I'm much more likely to get depressed or anxious when I have a great story idea and no time to write it. Sooo...yeah. Double-edged sword.


3. If you could say anything to the victims of domestic violence, what would you say?
Get out. Now. I know it feels like love, and I know it seems way too complicated to get out, and I know you think you can make changes and it will get better, but it's not going to get better, and you have to get out. Love shouldn't hurt. Love doesn't leave bruises. You do have the strength to get out. Tell someone what's happening to you and ask for help. Don't wait. Do it now.


image4. Do you plans for another book to be published? If so, can you tell us about it?
Yes, I am in copyedits right now on my third YA novel. It's called Perfect Escape, and it's a road-trippy kind of book, about a sister and brother who "run away" together. It's a little lighter, a little less issues-focused, and I'm extremely happy with it. I don't have a publication date on it yet, but I'm hoping it will come out sometime around spring 2012.


5. Is there anything you would like to add?
Thank you so much for having me! This was fun!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I will definitely have to check out this author. I have her two books books on my list, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Great interview! I'll definitely have to look for Bitter End when I go to the library next.

Thanks for sharing!