Thursday, June 16, 2011

Possession by Elana Johnson

imageVi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.
But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.
This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

Going into Possession, I had really low expectations. I had heard so many good things about it, that I wasn’t incredibly excited to read it. I got 50 pages in, and put it down. Once I picked it up a few weeks later, I got hooked. I finished Possession within a few hours.

The only problem I had with Possession was that I didn’t connect with Vi as much as I wanted to. She is a kick-ass character and I would have loved to be more in touch with her character. Other than that, I loved Possession. It lives completely up to all the hype it has received. This book presents yet another love-triangle. This time it’s Jag vs. Zenn. The various things surrounding these two men were all so surprising and it was fun watching the stories about them unfold.

Elana Johnson wrote an amazing debut novel that has put her name out there as one of the authors to watch! Her writing is really addicting and her characters were well written. With all of the dystopian novels that are coming out recently, it’s hard to write one that sets itself apart from the other novels. It is save to say that Possession definitely set itself apart.

Possession was a thrilling debut novel that I’m sure readers will enjoy. Though it isn’t my favorite dystopian book, it is still one of the best and most original that I’ve read. Elana Johnson is an author that you will want to watch. I can’t wait for the next book in the Possession series!

Also, can I say that I love this cover? It is so creepy and sleek and interesting. I salute the cover designer(s)!

FTC- Publisher

No comments: